BruceGargoyle

BruceGargoyle

Pathways to Illumination

Pathways to Illumination - Christy Birmingham Full review at: http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/read-it-if-pathways-to-illumination/

Pathways to Illumination is a collection of poems relating Birmingham’s journey through a toxic relationship and out the other side. The poems are structured to be read sequentially, so that the book almost takes on the design of a verse novel, allowing the reader to experience the author’s journey and engage with her process of healing.

I only occasionally dabble in poetry books, and when I do, I generally read anthologies. I found this book refreshing, because the sequential structure of the book was immediately comfortable to someone who normally reads novels. Also, being able to read the poems in a sequential fashion allowed for time for reflection between reading sessions, and this really enhanced my reading experience.

I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in women's issues, relationship breakdown or the process of healing from trauma. Also, this would be a great title to read as a beginning point for those who don't normally read poetry but would be interested to give it a try.