BruceGargoyle

BruceGargoyle

Man Made Boy - Jon Skovron Full review at: http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress.com/2013/10/20/arc-read-it-if-review-man-made-boy/

I received an ARC print copy of this book from the publishers in return for an honest review.

It's actually a 3.5 from me, and even as I type this, I feel I might be being a little bit harsh.

Quick Synopsis:
Monstrous son of two famous Monsters goes on a road-trip to find himself while simultaneously creating, setting loose and dealing with the aftermath of, an emotionally unstable and homicidally angry artifical intelligence. Personal insight, romance and mindless violence ensues.

Skovron has created a new and engaging take on some well-used characters and themes that should appeal greatly to a wide spectrum of YA fans. For the paranormal romance buffs there's enough going on to make things interesting, without causing the rest of us to vomit in disgust. For the pop culture crossover buffs, there are enough references to classic film and book characters to satisfy even the snobbiest of literature hipsters. For the sci fi fans, there is a decent smattering of themes relating to artifical life wreaking havoc on humanity. And on an entirely different note, avid readers who are also CosPlayers will be spoiled for choice after reading this.

I did enjoy this book quite a lot, but I feel I have to mark it down a bit because of a major plotline that seemed to disappear for great chunks of the narrative, yet show up conveniently when the author wanted to drive home the coming-of-age/taking-responsibility-for-your-actions theme. I felt the author meshed this aspect of the book far better in the second half of the novel, but early on it seemed a bit transparent to me and really set the book as a teen novel, rather than a YA book that has appeal to adult readers as well. Having said that, there were great swathes of the book during which I really wanted to read on and stick with the characters and if I based my rating on the second half of the book alone, I would have given it a four.

This is a good choice for those who don't mind a bit of fun fantasy that is unashamedly pitched at the teen market.

Recommended for a bit of enjoyable summer reading.