BruceGargoyle

BruceGargoyle

Creepy and Maud - Dianne Touchell Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/whats-in-a-name-challenge-creepy-and-maud/

At 3 stars, Creepy and Maud is definitely worth a look if you are searching for something a bit different in the world of YA.

Creepy and Maud is told from the alternating viewpoints of Creepy (not his real name…obviously) and Maud (not her real name….less obviously); teenage neighbours who conduct most of their interactions through the use of binoculars and messages flashed through their respective windows. The story explores how the friendship – if you can call it that – develops amidst the daily dramas of life in the teens’ less than idyllic family settings.

I found this one to be an engaging but unsettling read. It didn't really hit the mark for me in terms of being one to cherish and re-read because I found the characters to be a bit...well, unlikeable really. While I didn't want to abandon the book at any stage, I also didn't particularly connect with any of the characters in the book - possibly due to the spectacularly unhealthy relationship dynamics that abounded.

One to read and think about, rather than read and enjoy for my money.